When you build a website, you don’t want people to take a sneak peek at it until it is ready. Though there are a lot of software that let you build your page offline and then publish it afterwards, you still want to perform some random testing before showing the site to the public. To keep your website private before its release, you may need to use a program that does it for you.
In this article, you will learn how to make an Under Construction or Coming Soon page. But first, you need to know what this type of page is before you use the program.
What Is a Coming Soon Page?
A coming soon page, also known as the under construction page, is a simple web page which informs visitors that your website is still under renovation. It is like a sign that tells other people “On this site will rise a mall or a firm.”
Just like those signs you see on the street, the under construction page does not only tell the people that the website is still not available to the public but it also makes them more excited to visit the website after its launch. Chances are they will click the “Notify me when it’s complete” button so they can check your web page out when it is available.
How Does It Work?
Your server will start looking for the index page of your site. It will search for the pages that have a default.htm, index.htm, index.php, and index.html on it. If the program finds a file that has one of these names, it will be put on the landing page automatically, paving its way to being shown to the public before its release.
However, if you use a Coming Soon page, it will keep the content of your site private until you release it. Instead of having a header or footer on the web page, it will show some information regarding the launch and other relevant topics about your website.
How to Create an Under Construction or Coming Soon Page
Now you know what it is and how it works, let’s discuss the tips on creating an under construction or coming soon page. To make a coming soon page, you need to perform the following steps:
- Go to the cPanel and log in.
- Go to the File Manager. Make sure that you navigate to the domain of your root folder that you are working on. If it’s the first domain, use public_html.
- Find the “New File” button located in the toolbar at the top part of the page and click it.
- Once you click the icon, you need to give your file a name. After you have finally decided on the file’s name and typed it in the space provided, you must click “Create New File” to end the creation process. You now have an empty file.
- The next step is to edit the empty file. To do this, you need to highlight the filename and click the HTML editor. The good thing about this program is that it lets you create a page without coding it. You can make it fancy or simple depending on your needs.
- When you are satisfied with your design, you can click the “Save” button found at the upper left-hand corner of the toolbar. If you don’t know where it is, just look for the floppy disk icon and click it.
- Now you have finished creating a coming soon page for your site; you must create a filename, which will serve as a default for your website. Add it to your web page to keep the content private until you remove it.
Creating an Under Construction or Coming Soon page is easy. It won’t take days before you can finish the page. With the use of your creative juices and the tips mentioned above, you will be able to create a coming soon page for your website.